Maybe the best way to eliminate vermin and other household pests is to have a domestic cat (Felis catus). This small furry mammal that looks almost like other felines and felids has been domesticated or associated with humans for about 9,500 years already—when a kitten was seen buried next to a human in Cyprus.
In general these creatures are called ‘cat’ but a male cat is called ‘tom’ (becomes ‘gib’ if neutered), ‘molly’ or ‘queen’ for female. Immature cat is called ‘kitten’ and when cats come in group; they are called as a ‘clowder’.
Cats have remarkably strong and flexible bodies, quick reflexes, sharp retractable claws and teeth designed for killing small prey—just the same with other felids. Cats also have very sharp hearing ability that they use to hunt for prey; they hear sounds higher in frequency than human can. On the other hand, their smelling ability overpowers their sense of taste, so they rely more on the former.
Cats are nocturnal; they are more active during nighttime and noticeably always asleep during broad daylight, and their average sleeping hours is 13 to 14 hours. At some cases, cats can sleep for almost 20 hours for a given day.
In contrast with their close competitor of being the most favorite pet of all time, the dogs, cats are more independent and often go by alone. Their independence, however, often wins the heart of people. Cats require attention but not much like dogs, they can also get by with hygiene as they are capable cleaning themselves, and they don’t require much exercise. In addition, cats don’t come in packs like the dogs, they are solitary hunters.
However, these mostly introvert creature socialize thru a variety of vocalizations, pheromones, meowing, purring, hissing, growling, and grunting.
Right Side AD
Articles - This Issue
- Saugus Graduates – “We’re Going Places!”
- ROCK ON with the Boys & Girls Club!
- Tee Off at the SCV Senior Center’s Summer Showdown!
- A Note from The Publishers -June 2013
- An Evening of Fun with the Gentlemen! Soroptimist International of SCV’s 2nd Annual Gentlemen for a Cause
- You Are Making a Difference!
- Around Town
- Hike Santa Clarita Now Offers Blog and “Ask Dr. Norm” Feature
- Logix Federal Credit Union Named as Title Sponsor for Circle of Hope’s 2013 Vine 2 Wine Classic
- COC Summer Session to Provide Class Seats for 18,000 Students