Bringing birds to your garden is one of the great joys of any gardener. Aside form providing food, providing water is must in creating a wildlife friendly garden. Here is a quick and easy birdbath that looks elegant and can be made from items you already own or can easily get from your local garden center. Supplies needed: Tall pot or urn, or even a piece of large pipe or chimney flue, a large sauce, silicone glue, if desired. Several rough stones low growing inexpensive annual or perennial flowers and grasses. Place your pot or urn in the desired place for your birdbath, depending on the shape of the vessel, you might wish to turn it upside down. I filled mine with rocks to give it weight and prevent it from blowing over in the wind. Place the saucer on top of the pot, glue with silicone to keep in place if desired. Place rough stones in saucer to give birds a foothold, then fill saucer with water. Plant around the base of the birdbath to soften and add a natural effect. Use low growing plants to prevent your view of the birdbath from being obstructed. You also don’t want to provide predators a place to hide. Place your birdbath in an open area such as a lawn. Birds prefer to be able to view the area for enemies, and will use your bath more often if they are not tucked back where a predator can hide. Watching birds bathe and drink in your new bird bath will give you hours of relaxation in your very own backyard wildlife sanctuary. Give this easy project a try with items you have on hand, or visit your local discount or home improvements store for some inexpensive materials.
Right Side AD
Ultimate Beauty & Fitness Awards
3rd Ultimate Awards for Beauty & Fitness!
Articles - This Issue
- Hit the Greens at the 40th Annual Frontier Toyota/Henry Mayo Drive Safe Golf Classic!
- A Note from The Publishers - May 2013
- Old Town Newhall Farmers Market Serves Up Fresh Produce, Spices and Entertainment
- The Senior Center Summer Showdown Is Back!
- A Memorial Day Tribute to Veterans
- Pamela Ripling Wins Zonta’s Carmen Sarro Service Award
- Amgen Tour of California Races into Santa Clarita
- Rock On at the Boys & Girls Club Auction!
- COC Partners with Newhall County Water District for New Internship Opportunity
- A Day of Art and Wine