What are Spider Veins?
Spider veins are fine unsightly red or purple veins found on the surface of the skin. They are different from varicose veins. They can also occur on the face and trunk but are most commonly found on the legs. They are usually asymptomatic but can be unsightly.
Why do spider veins happen?
Spider veins are sometimes caused by venous reflux. This is a condition in the superficial leg veins where the vein valves weaken and allow blood to pool in the legs. Heredity, hormonal influences, standing occupation, pregnancy, age, and weight gain can all play a factor and increase the risk of developing spider veins. While more common in women, men are also at risk. You can get spider veins at any age, but the risk of it goes up with age.
What are some ways in which we can get rid of spider veins and or decrease their appearance?
• The best treatment for spider vein is sclerotherapy. This is a series of injection(s) which seals and dissolves the vein. The chemical injected injures the lining of the vein and seals it shut. The body then gradually absorbs the vein.
• Laser therapy can also be used to treat spider veins. This uses heat injury to seal the vein which then gets gradually absorbed by the body.
• There are no other treatments to get rid of spider veins. However, body makeup or a spray tan can sometimes be effective in covering up the veins.
• Graduated compression stockings improve the venous circulation of the legs and minimize the progression of new spider vein formation.
• Good footwear, exercise, healthy diet and leg elevation are good preventive measures as well.
A physician who specializes in treating veins is the best way to address the issue. Once properly diagnosed, you can choose the best treatment option to get rid of the spider veins safely and effectively. Sclerotherapy is the most effective treatment to resolve spider veins. If you would like to make an appointment to see Dr. Larisse Lee at the L.A. Vein Center in Sherman Oaks, please call 818-325-0400.
ADVERTISE WITH US
There’s much to do and much to see in the SCV this month, so get ready for a busy May! Over the last decade we have seen a remarkable growth in population. Just as the city continues to grow, the need for updated services, state-of-the-art equipment, and hospital...read more
It’s golf time! The 46th Annual Frontier Toyota/Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital “Drive Safe” Golf Classic will be held this year on May 11th at Valencia Country Club, where Joe Caso of Frontier Toyota returns as Title Sponsor for the 26th year. Featured on our cover this...read more
On April 11, 2019 Bridge to Home held a press conference to formally thank Supervisor Kathryn Barger and the City of Santa Clarita for their support. For information on how you can help, please visit www.btohome.org. ABOUT THE MAGAZINE The Magazine of...read more
ABOUT THE MAGAZINE
Santa Clarita Magazine has set a high standard for excellence in advertising for over 25 years. A family owned and operated business, Santa Clarita Magazine has grown with the Santa Clarita Valley since 1990 and become the #1 place to advertise locally.