Protect Your Boo This Halloween!

by | Sep 25, 2019 | Pet Services

 Halloween can be the spookiest night of the year, but keeping your pets safe doesn’t have to be. Keep in mind that if you or your kids are going trick or treating to keep the candy out of reach for your dog as there may be hidden dangers that you’re unaware of.
All forms of chocolate can be dangerous and even lethal, for dogs and cats. Symptoms of chocolate toxicity may include vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing, increased heart rate, and seizures. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic, and the smaller the quantity necessary to see side effects. For pets with pre-existing heart disease or seizure conditions, the concern is even higher.
Sugar-free gum is great, but often contains xylitol as the substitute and when ingested by dogs can cause a low blood sugar crash and eventual liver damage. A small dog may be affected by eating just one or two sticks of sugar-free gum. Keep in mind that xylitol can also be found in other candy or mints. Common signs of xylitol ingestion include vomiting, weakness, tremors and even seizures. This additive can also be absorbed slowly, meaning that these symptoms may appear up to twelve hours post ingestion.
Also, watch out for grapes and raisins as they can be kidney-destroying to dogs. Keep in mind they may be inside cookies or trail mix as well.
Glow sticks are popular on Halloween and they can cause concern if a pet chews one open. The liquid inside is non-toxic but it does taste bad so pets who get into a glow stick may drool, paw at their mouth, become agitated, and sometimes even vomit.
If you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, please call your veterinarian immediately and as always, if you have any questions please feel free to contact Copper Hill Animal Clinic at 661-296-8848.

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=3]



Santa Clarita Magazine has set a high standard for excellence in advertising for over 30 years. A family owned and operated business, Santa Clarita Magazine has grown with the Santa Clarita Valley since 1990 and become the #1 place to advertise locally.