Join the Relay for Life Family
With the New Year upon us, many people are making resolutions to live a healthier, happier 2016. Among their plans are eating more nutritiously, getting regular exercise, and getting involved in causes that serve their communities and benefit humankind. The “Official Sponsor of Birthdays,” the American Cancer Society provides plentiful prospects for making these well-intentioned blueprints a reality, as well as becoming active participants in the fight against cancer.
Relay For Life is at the top of this opportunity list.
An annual outdoor team-walking fundraiser, the ACS Santa Clarita Valley Unit’s Relay For Life will be held from 9 a.m. on Saturday, May 21 to 9 a.m. on Sunday, May 22 at Central Park in Saugus. Rich in camaraderie, Relay features a variety of activities for all ages:
• A cheered-on Survivor First Lap that celebrates victory over cancer. Caregivers are also celebrated for the love and support they give their family and friends who are facing cancer
• Food, live music, games/fun activities, cancer and health information, and raffles offering a large array of great items
• An evening Luminaria Ceremony remembering those who have died from cancer, and honoring persons who have fought cancer or are in treatment. A highly emotional sight is the hundreds of pre-purchased and personalized/decorated luminaria bags in which individual candles are aglow. The bags, placed around the Relay track, are shining tributes to those affected by cancer.
• The Fight Back ceremony, which inspires Relay participants to take action in the battle against cancer
• Sunday morning breakfast and closing ceremonies with recognition of everyone’s efforts and the highest dollar-raising teams. Monies raised enable the nationwide non-profit to continue its cutting-edge cancer research, education, advocacy and free services.
“Sponsorships and team building are key to making Relay a win-win for all,” said Betsy Keesler, Relay 2016 event chair.
“I’d like to engage companies in Santa Clarita in becoming sponsors and building teams,” Keesler said. “Our SCV Relay is the third largest Relay in California with more than 2,000 participants, 4,000 in attendance, and it has raised more than $5 million for the American Cancer Society.”
Sponsorships offer many plusses, Keesler noted. Among them are: banners and track signs at the event, logos on the Relay website and posters, program acknowledgement, tax benefits, and last but not least, the comradeship derived from employees/teams participating in the fight against cancer.
To learn more about how you can support Relay For Life visit: www.scvrelay.org. In addition to Relay sponsorships and teams, volunteers and donors are also sought. To reach our local ACS office call 661-298-0886 option 3.
ADVERTISE WITH US
Oh, my goodness it’s going to be difficult to keep up with all the non-profit activities this month! October is just buzzing with fund-raising! Not only are there events that you can attend, but there are countless businesses in the Santa Clarita Valley giving back...read more
Bridge to Home, the primary homeless services provider in the Santa Clarita Valley, is hosting their premier fundraiser, Soup for the Soul – Sera in Italia, on Saturday, October 12, at 6 p.m. at Bella Vida, located at 27180 Golden Valley Road. The community is...read more
Circle of Hope’s beloved annual Afternoon Tea returns October 12, to the Hyatt Regency Valencia! In concert with the nonprofit’s year-long anniversary celebration, event organizers are bringing back themes from the Tea’s previous fourteen years, providing guests with...read more
ABOUT THE MAGAZINE
Santa Clarita Magazine has set a high standard for excellence in advertising for over 29 years. A family owned and operated business, Santa Clarita Magazine has grown with the Santa Clarita Valley since 1990 and become the #1 place to advertise locally.