Preparing for Spring
March is a great time in Santa Clarita but it is actually the beginning of the end of the planting season for most plants. If you are planning on having a low water or native garden you only have a few months left to plant.
• If you want to order any special plants from catalogs – now is the time to do it.
• It is always great to start a Plan – you might be able to get a start, or at least be ready for next year.
• Check your houseplant for pests
• Get your garden tools in order
• Make sure you have all the tools for protecting plants and watch out for cold snaps.
• Soil testing can be done for you vegetable beds, and preparations for amendments can be made.
• It is a great time to propagate plants from cuttings
• Don’t forget to harvest your winter crops before they bolt
• Shop and plant bare root fruit trees and roses
• If the weather cooperates you can divide some of your perennials, though many prefer fall division in Santa Clarita.
• Plant “tropical plants” plants that need to establish a good root system before next winter can be planted over the next couple of months. Check availability in the nurseries for clues as to what would like to be planted now instead of the fall.
Planning at this time of the year is essential, so if you need a little hand, or have a few questions be sure to consult a professional. You can find great advice at your local nursery (Green Thumb… not the big box stores) or you can contact me – I love creating plans and helping you create the garden of your dreams.
Julie Molinare is a Certified Landscape Designer living in the Santa Clarita for over 15 years. Julie taught the Introduction to Landscape Design Class at CSUN Tseng College of Extended Learning and is owner/designer of The Grass is Always Greener Designs at 661-917-3521 www.thegrassisalwaysgreener.net – make sure to visit the blog page to sign up for information and garden reminders.
ADVERTISE WITH US
I really love our cover this month! It always amazes me how creative our non-profits can be. From Afternoon Tea with Circle of Hope to a delicious Chili Cook-Off benefitting FeedSCV and the Wish Foundation, to Soroptimist International Valencia, or gorgeous...
Are you ready for a Partea? Circle of Hope will be hosting its 17th Annual Tea celebration on October 9, 2021, at 11:00 am, held at the Hyatt Regency Valencia. This is a tea party you won’t want to miss!This year’s theme, EVERY DAY’S A HOLIDAY! will celebrate...
On October 23, 2021, the women of Soroptimist International of Valencia will present their annual breast cancer awareness fundraiser, “Bras for a Cause.” The event, titled “Wanderlust,” will support National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Now in its 18th year, the...
ABOUT THE MAGAZINE
Santa Clarita Magazine has set a high standard for excellence in advertising for over 30 years. A family owned and operated business, Santa Clarita Magazine has grown with the Santa Clarita Valley since 1990 and become the #1 place to advertise locally.