Ten Cosmetic Ingredients to Avoid – Part two of two
Continuing from last month with five cosmetic ingredients to avoid, here are the remaining five.
6. Propylene Glycol is a vegetable glycerin mixed with grain alcohols which are natural ingredients in their pure form. However, it is usually a synthetic petrochemical mix used as a humectant (moisture trapper). It has been known to cause allergic reactions, hives and eczema. When you see PEG (polyethylene glycol) or PPG (polypropylene glycol) on labels, beware—these are related synthetics.
7. PVP/VA Copolymer is a petroleum-derived chemical used in hairsprays, styling aids and other cosmetics. It can be toxic as inhaled particles can damage the lungs.
8. Stearalkonium Chloride is a quaternary ammonium compound used in hair conditioners and creams. It was developed by the fabric industry as a fabric softener but is used in hair care products as a cheap alternative to proteins or herbal ingredients. It is toxic and can cause allergic reactions.
9. Synthetic Colors are used to make cosmetics “pretty” and add color to hair dyes. They should be avoided at all costs and are labeled as FD&C or D&C with a number following. Many are carcinogenic and should never be used.
10. Synthetic Fragrances used in cosmetics can have as many as 200 ingredients. There is no way to determine which chemicals are being used, since the label will read “fragrance.” Some problems caused by these chemicals include headaches, dizziness, rash, hyper-pigmentation (discoloration of the skin), coughing, vomiting and skin irritation, just to name a few. Advice: Don’t buy a cosmetic that has the word “fragrance” on the ingredient label. Good quality products will specifically list essential oils and herbs as the source of their fragrances.
For a free consultation to determine your individual expected results, contact Beyond Harmony Med Spa at 661-298-8008.
ADVERTISE WITH US
Ensure the Water Quality and Safety of Your Water System After a Prolonged ShutdownAs you start planning a return to normal business operations, SCV Water wants to remind all building owners and managers of the importance of maintaining good water quality by...
Popular Newhall Restaurants, Specialty Food Shops, Bars and Winery Tasting Rooms Join Together For One Day With First-Ever Drive-Through ExperienceRising to the challenge that the current pandemic has placed us all in, and the need to supply food and beverages...
Looking for something to lighten the mood? The WiSH Education Foundation has just the right thing to do it! Welcome to the first SCV community Virtual Talent Show! Presented by SCVTV and sponsored by Westfield Valencia Town Center, the event will air in June...
ABOUT THE MAGAZINE
Santa Clarita Magazine has set a high standard for excellence in advertising for over 29 years. A family owned and operated business, Santa Clarita Magazine has grown with the Santa Clarita Valley since 1990 and become the #1 place to advertise locally.