Church at Ex-Sebastian Indian Reservation
Gen. Edward F. Beale, then-Indian superintendent for California and Nevada, established the San Sebastian (aka Tejon) Indian Reservation in 1852 on Yokuts land in the Southern San Joaquin Valley that he would later own. The U.S. Army established Fort Tejon in 1854 largely to keep watch over the reservation.
Using soldiers at his command, Beale rounded up Indians from miles around and herded them onto the reservation to facilitate American settlement of their lands. Among them were Tataviam people originally from villages in Newhall and Castaic. One of them, Estanislao Cabuti, aka Stanislaus, born at Tochonanga (Newhall), became a captain at the reservation; Barbareno Chumash living at San Emigdio after the Chumash Revolt of 1824; Kitanemuk from the Antelope Valley; Yokuts from the San Joaquin Valley (historically enemies of the Kitanemuk, but intermarried anyway); and even Paiutes from 200 miles away in the Owens Valley (many of whom escaped along the way and returned to their ancestral homes).
The Army began to shut down the fort when the U.S. Civil War broke out and closed it, and the reservation, for good in 1854. Some of the Indians were transferred to the Tule River Reservation in an unfamiliar area southeast of Visalia, but some managed to avoid the move and returned to their homelands while others remained in the Tejon area and worked as ranch hands for Beale, who now (1865) owned the property.
ADVERTISE WITH US
Spring is in the air and we are hoping things will start warming up in the Santa Clarita Valley. The recent cold weather and rain certainly took us all by surprise! Springtime is also the time where our charity events come into bloom. To get you started, we feature...read more
This year the second day of spring is expected to come with some serious heat … hot, chili-pepper heat, that is. Forty-five local chefs will share their favorite chili recipes at the 7th Annual SCV Charity Chili Cook-off on March 21st at The Oaks of Valencia Club....read more
The 11th annual Wine Affair fundraiser Sip, Stroll & Savor has a new location! This year, guests will stroll down Main Street in Old Town Newhall, enjoying wine, beer, appetizers and live music at over 10 venues. The event will be held on Sunday, March 24 from 2 p.m....read more
ABOUT THE MAGAZINE
The Magazine of Santa Clarita has set a high standard for excellence in advertising for over 25 years. A family owned and operated business, The Magazine of Santa Clarita has grown with the Santa Clarita Valley since 1989 and become the #1 place to advertise locally.