Overweight? You may have a condition called Metabolic syndrome, a cluster of conditions that occur together to risk your health.
Having just one condition listed below isn’t diagnosed as metabolic syndrome, but if more than one occurs in combination, your risk is great.
• Obesity, particularly around your waist (having an “apple shape”) measured by waist circumference: Men- greater than 40 inches, Women – Greater than 35 inches.
• Elevated blood pressure greater than or equal to 130/85 mmHg
• Fasting blood triglycerides greater than or equal to 150 mg/dL
• Blood HDL cholesterol: Men – Less than 40 mg/dL. Women – Less than 50 mg/mL
• Resistance to insulin, a hormone that helps to regulate the amount of sugar in your body. Fasting glucose greater than or equal to 100 mg/dL.
Research is ongoing, as the name suggests, metabolic syndrome is tied to your body’s metabolism, possibly to a condition called insulin resistance. In people with insulin resistance, the cells are unable to use insulin effectively. Your body reacts by churning out more and more insulin to help glucose get into your cells resulting in higher than normal levels of both insulin and glucose in your blood.
Factors that increase your chances of metabolic syndrome
• Obesity. Having a body mass index (BMI) greater than 25
• Age. Prevalence of metabolic syndrome increases with age, affecting less than 10 percent of people in their 20s and 40 percent of people in their 60s.
• History of diabetes. Family history of type 2 diabetes or during pregnancy.
• Other diseases. High blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, or polycystic ovarian syndrome.
Tackling one of the risk factors is tough — taking on all of them might seem overwhelming. Contacting a medical professional experienced in weight management could be the answer.
Call today to find out how! Etcetera’s professional staff offers the experience in weight management to prescribe the appropriate medication, nutritional guidelines, and lifestyle changes needed to improve all of the conditions of metabolic syndrome. 661-259-8884.
ADVERTISE WITH US
Where do I even begin? Over the years, the Santa Clarita Valley has become our home, it is where we raised our son, Alexander, where we gained success in our business and built a strong circle of friends and support. This is the same for so many families here in this...
For the past 30 years, Prime Publications Incorporated, publishers of Santa Clarita Magazine and SCV élite Magazine have been at the helm of media and marketing, utilizing their platform to keep our valley’s small businesses, non-profits, achievements and developments...
On our cover this month, we are thrilled to feature Santa Claus, along with Corrine Barchanowicz, Senior General Manager at Westfield Valencia Town Center and her adorable daughter Arabella who stole all of our hearts with her very cute smile. You will find...
ABOUT THE MAGAZINE
Santa Clarita Magazine has set a high standard for excellence in advertising for over 29 years. A family owned and operated business, Santa Clarita Magazine has grown with the Santa Clarita Valley since 1990 and become the #1 place to advertise locally.