Overweight? You may have a condition called Metabolic syndrome, a cluster of conditions that occur together to risk your health.
Having just one condition listed below isn’t diagnosed as metabolic syndrome, but if more than one occurs in combination, your risk is great.
• Obesity, particularly around your waist (having an “apple shape”) measured by waist circumference: Men- greater than 40 inches, Women – Greater than 35 inches.
• Elevated blood pressure greater than or equal to 130/85 mmHg
• Fasting blood triglycerides greater than or equal to 150 mg/dL
• Blood HDL cholesterol: Men – Less than 40 mg/dL. Women – Less than 50 mg/mL
• Resistance to insulin, a hormone that helps to regulate the amount of sugar in your body. Fasting glucose greater than or equal to 100 mg/dL.
Research is ongoing, as the name suggests, metabolic syndrome is tied to your body’s metabolism, possibly to a condition called insulin resistance. In people with insulin resistance, the cells are unable to use insulin effectively. Your body reacts by churning out more and more insulin to help glucose get into your cells resulting in higher than normal levels of both insulin and glucose in your blood.
Factors that increase your chances of metabolic syndrome
• Obesity. Having a body mass index (BMI) greater than 25
• Age. Prevalence of metabolic syndrome increases with age, affecting less than 10 percent of people in their 20s and 40 percent of people in their 60s.
• History of diabetes. Family history of type 2 diabetes or during pregnancy.
• Other diseases. High blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, or polycystic ovarian syndrome.
Tackling one of the risk factors is tough — taking on all of them might seem overwhelming. Contacting a medical professional experienced in weight management could be the answer.
Call today to find out how! Etcetera’s professional staff offers the experience in weight management to prescribe the appropriate medication, nutritional guidelines, and lifestyle changes needed to improve all of the conditions of metabolic syndrome. 661-259-8884.
ADVERTISE WITH US
“Sunset in the Vineyard is a celebration of the best of the Santa Clarita Valley—a generous giving community, excellent local wineries and craft food vendors, and gracious hosts with a stunning backyard”—Marlee Lauffer, Foundation President, Henry Mayo Newhall...read more
Being in the service of others is no easy career. It’s a choice that can come with extremely long hours and requires a tremendous amount of hard work. Each year the nomination committee must review dozens of individuals that deserve the honor of being an SCV 40 Under...read more
The VIA BASH has become one of the must-attend business events in the Santa Clarita Valley. On Saturday, October 19 at the Hyatt Regency Valencia, the Valley Industry Association’s signature gala transforms into a ‘Night to Remember,’ inspired by Truman Capote’s...read more
ABOUT THE MAGAZINE
Santa Clarita Magazine has set a high standard for excellence in advertising for over 29 years. A family owned and operated business, Santa Clarita Magazine has grown with the Santa Clarita Valley since 1990 and become the #1 place to advertise locally.