Dieting Tips to Get You Through the Holidays!
December holidays are just around the corner and so are all those extra calories from candy, cookies and Christmas parties. As you already know all those extra calories add up throughout the holiday season. If you’re like most Americans, you’ll put on about 10 pounds by New Year’s Day. However, out of that 10 pounds, most of us only put on about a pound or two of actual body fat. Seems harmless, right? Well not exactly. According to the latest research at the National Institutes of Health, most Americans never lose the extra body fat that they gain during the winter holidays. Over time the extra pounds add up making holiday weight gain an important factor in adult obesity. It goes without saying that you don’t have to fall into the holiday weight gain cycle. It is possible to enjoy holiday goodies without gaining too much excess body fat. Here are a few dieting tips to get you through the holidays without gaining too much weight.
1. Portion Control! Portion control is most important factor in not gaining excess body fat during the holidays. Simply put, don’t overdo it. Enjoy the foods you like but do so in moderation.
2. Choose Your Food Wisely! Research suggests that you’ll consume the largest quantity of the foods you eat first, so set yourself up for success by starting with something healthy and or low-calorie.
3. Downsize Your Plate! If you have the option, go for a smaller plate when you’re eating at holiday functions. Downsize your plate to trick your brain into thinking you are eating more.
4. Nibble and Sip! Take smaller sips and bites to trick your brain into eating 30 percent fewer calories! Studies find that when you take nibbles, chew your food longer and eat slower, your brain thinks you’ve eaten more.
5. Never Arrive Hungry! Planning ahead can help you maintain discipline in the face of temptation. Don’t go to a party starving.
6. Bring Your Own Treats. Whether you’re going to a friend’s party or an office potluck, consider bringing a low-calorie treat that you know you’ll enjoy. Bringing your own dessert will make the more fattening alternatives less tempting.
7. Track Your Weight Daily! Weigh yourself daily and use that number to guide your actions! Research has shown that people who step on the scale every day and then act accordingly, either increasing their exercise or being stricter about their eating, are 82 percent less likely to regain lost weight than those who don’t weigh in as often.
You can expect Survival of The Fittest Health and Wellness to go above and beyond to help you reach your goals in 2017. We will provide you with the knowledge, accountability and motivation that you need to get results as quickly as possible.
If you are interested in more information, please visit www.sofhealthandwellness.com or you can reach me directly at 661-713-7576 or James@sofhealthandwellness.com.
ADVERTISE WITH US
Did this year seem to go by really quickly? It’s hard to believe that I am writing our notes for the last publication of 2018! We have gone through many changes this year, one of them being the reformatting of the Santa Clarita Magazine, it seems that everyone is...read more
“I saw a need for a legitimate, elite girls travel basketball program in our area. Before we formed our organization, I was driving my daughter nearly two hours south to practice for a national level team. I knew we could fill the need for it right here in Santa...read more
Santa Clarita is celebrating the holidays with bigger and better lights than ever. Here are just a few locations to enjoy. Hot cocoa and family recommended. Wakefield Court - Saugus Everyone’s favorite holiday double cul-de-sac decked out with lights and massive...read more
ABOUT THE MAGAZINE
The Magazine of Santa Clarita has set a high standard for excellence in advertising for over 25 years. A family owned and operated business, The Magazine of Santa Clarita has grown with the Santa Clarita Valley since 1989 and become the #1 place to advertise locally.